Shiloh UMC, Gilbert, SC – Children/Youth Ministry Coordinator – Job Description
Shiloh United Methodist Church (SUMC) has been an active member of the faith community of Gilbert, SC for over 150 years. Located in a rural, but rapidly developing area of Lexington County, Shiloh is a church family of 200 members that is poised for growth in the near future.
One of our major opportunities as a church family is the relatively small number of children in our congregation. In order to serve these young people, we are seeking a coordinator of children and youth services.
Position Summary: The Children/Youth Coordinator will encourage all children and youth in the congregation and community to grow in faith as Christian disciples. Through Sunday School and Children’s Church programs, Vacation Bible School, Fellowship Wednesday, Family Ministry events, special activities, and children/youth related functions, the coordinator will lead, coordinate and work with church members, the Pastor and community leaders to address the needs of children and youth so that all God’s children grow in Christian faith, strength and wisdom.
General Characteristics and Qualifications
- Possess a high school diploma. Experience in a Christian education at a church, or hands-on experience in a congregational setting.
- Demonstrate Christian values, both in his/her professional and private life; have a working knowledge of scripture and be amenable to Wesleyan polity and doctrine. Have a deep and growing life of discipleship in Jesus Christ.
- Have a working knowledge and ability to communicate with youth and parents through various social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, etc.).
- Ability to plan, organize, execute, lead and provide guidance to complex projects and spontaneous activities related to children and youth ministries.
- Willingness to work cooperatively/collaboratively with others and take advice and counseling from Shiloh’s Children and Youth Ministry Committee, Pastor and Staff Pastor Parrish Relations Committee.
- Maintain a positive attitude and be creative and flexible in solving problems.
- Ability to exercise initiative and judgment as an independent worker.
Principal Function- Under supervision of the Pastor and the Staff Parish Chairman, the Children’s/Youth Coordinator is responsible for planning, organizing and executing a Biblically centered program for children and youth from six years of age through twelfth grade adhering to Wesleyan beliefs and foundation.
- Coordinate, evaluate and provide educational resources for Shiloh United Methodist Church’s ministry for children.
- Plan, recruit volunteers and execute a Sunday school and Children’s Church programs for children and youth, special activities and projects, camps, retreats as needed such as Christmas, Easter and Vacation Bible School.
- Work with key church leaders and parents/grandparents in the enlisting of volunteers to support activities.
- Periodically review church policies and programs to ensure coordination and compliance.
- Keep abreast of new materials, programs, methods, etc.,
- Coordinate with leadership within the church to promote children’s programs and activities through social media, web-site, newsletter, etc.
- Prepare curriculum, activities, crafts, and class materials prior to class.
- Prepare and teach Biblically based learning activities in a creative way so that children and youth will learn and grow in their faith.
- Coordinate with church leadership to reach out into the community and promote Shiloh UMC’s program to community and area.
- Maintain communication with parents/guardians and volunteers related to promoting the program and acquiring feedback on activities.
- Meet with Shiloh UMC’s Children & Youth Ministry Committee in person a minimum of once per month. A remote option may be made available for committee members who are unable to attend in-person.
- Pray for the volunteers and the children of the community and church.
- Attend ongoing Children’s Ministry training and meetings when necessary.
- Take training in First Aid and CPR.
- Complete a background check & safe sanctuary training.
- Follow Safe Sanctuary child to teacher ratios when scheduling volunteers to serve.
- Develop a good relationship with volunteers and Pastor.
- Demonstrate a positive and friendly attitude with the parents and the children who are in your care. Interact with all children and youth at Shiloh on their level.
- Collect attendance sheets each week and give the attendance sheets to the Pastor.
- Report needed supplies and concerns to the Pastor or SPPRC chair (wipes, paper towels, snacks, etc.).
- Report damaged toys/equipment or safety hazards to the Pastor.
- Keep rooms looking neat, clean, and sanitized.
- Explain security and sign in procedures with new parents.
- Make personal contact with all visiting children and children within the church not attending Sunday school and activities.
- Flexibility in schedule with a maximum work week of 20 hours. Compensation $25 per hour.
- Must attend Shiloh each Sunday morning to include Sunday School and Children’s Church. Must arrive at church 15 minutes before Sunday School to prepare for lessons. Must attend Fellowship Wednesday (2nd Sunday each month September – May from 5:30 – 7:00) and prepare an activity or lesson for children and youth. Must attend the monthly family ministry event to interact with Shiloh UMC children and youth.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
Must have reliable transportation.