Hispanic/Latino Task Force
The South Carolina Conference Hispanic/Latino Task Force was established under the Ethnic Local Church Concerns Committee in 2015. Our mission is to raise awareness, advocate, and be in ministry with our Hispanic/Latino(a) brothers and sisters in Christ.
Task Force members:
- Rev. Emily Sutton, chairperson (Rock Hill District)
- Rev. Enrique Gordon, vice chairperson (Charleston District)
- Jessica Brodie, secretary (Columbia District)
- Rev. Robin Dease, Cabinet representative (Hartsville District)
- Rev. Shirley Gordon (Charleston District)
South Carolina statistics
- 229,482 – Methodists in South Carolina (2016)
- 286,389 – Hispanics in South Carolina (2017 Census Estimate)
- 380 – Hispanic/Latino members of the South Carolina Annual Conference (2016)
Strategy for Local Churches
- Pray: Here’s a place to start.
- Assess community: MissionInsight, connect with schools, employers, and local resources.
- Assess church: Willingness of congregation to embrace different cultures, openness to inclusivity, intercultural mindset.
- Short-term study: Pentecost Journey, Immigrant Welcoming Communities.
- Develop a plan for ministry.
- Pray some more.
What if I don’t speak Spanish?
- Reach out to children
- English for Speakers of Other Languages
- Partner with schools
- Partner community agencies (ie. PASOs – six locations around the state working with moms and children)
Want to know more?
- Read the UMC’s National Plan for Hispanic/Latino Ministry.
- Like us on Facebook: @hispanicministriesumcsc
- Follow us on Twitter: @hispanicminumsc