Covenant United Methodist Church’s Music and Worship Arts Ministry is committed to a comprehensive music ministry with children and youth. Music is a mode of teaching and sharing the Good News of Jesus Christ. The Youth & Children’s Choir Director will have the primary responsibility of developing a high-quality, spirited, inviting music ministry for young children and youth within the congregation and in the community. The director of the children & youth choir(s) will demonstrate a strong commitment to Jesus Christ and His teachings while developing, teaching, and directing the ensemble members. The director is expected to support the mission of CUMC’s Music and Worship programs by directing at and participating in regular worship services in the sanctuary, and by teaching and preparing children and youth during regular scheduled rehearsals, as well as for other special events.
The Youth and Children’s Choir Director will report to the Director of Traditional Worship and will meet with the supervisor on a regular basis. The Youth and Children’s Choir Director will also interact regularly and cooperatively with other staff members, clergy, and the congregation.
Primary Areas of Responsibilities and Duties:
- Work to develop a dynamic, inviting, music ministry opportunity for children and youth to participate and an integral part of the worship experience at Covenant.
- Prepare and supervise choirs to lead worship in the sanctuary, or as scheduled.
- Hold regularly scheduled weekly choir rehearsals and recruit new members. The director should be prompt and well-prepared for rehearsals at all times.
- Develop appropriate repertoire for the children and youth by choosing quality and engaging musical selections for worship services that honor and reflect the theology of Covenant.
- Serve with rehearsal accompanist or assistant when preparing the choir for services and events, including seasonal worship services and special programs including, but not limited to Easter and Christmas productions.
- Select and purchase music for the choir, as needed.
- Effectively communicate needs and challenges to the Traditional Worship Director and other leaders involved with children and youth choirs.
- Oversee and assure maintenance, care, and tracking of all music, music equipment, and other children’s or youth music ministry property.
- Planning and implementation, with a ministry team, an annual choir tour for children and youth choirs.
Other responsibilities include the following:
- Assist with recruitment of choir members.
- Work closely with media team when preparing for worship services.
- Select and order sheet music as advised by Traditional Worship Director.
- Attend and actively participate in Music Ministry staff meetings.
- Attend general meetings involving children’s and youth ministries.
Education and Experience: This position requires a strong spiritual background and commitment to the church and to the ministry of the church. A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Music Education or a related field. Candidate should have experience working with children and youth in a faith-based setting.
- Personal, active, and growing relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Enthusiasm for service and understanding of children and youth musical skills.
- Strong commitment and desire to work with children and youth.
- Good communication skills, flexibility, and ability to work well with young children and youth.
- Effective planning and organizational skills, and the ability to lead, delegate, and work with volunteers.
- Proficiency in teaching voice parts and directing a choir.
- Keyboard skills preferred.
- Ability to read music.
- Familiarity with (or the ability to learn) Planning Center Online software.
Interested parties should forward a complete application packet to Rev. Matt Yon: email@example.com. It should include the following:
- Cover letter with general background information, family, community involvement, and hobbies.
- Current resume.
- List of 3 references.