Lay delegates to the 2019 South Carolina Annual Conference will have the opportunity to see the fruits of their labors during the gathering, set for June 2-6 in Greenville.
Conference lay leaders have scheduled three events during Annual Conference at the Greenville Convention Center:
- First-Timers’ Orientation – Sessions giving first-time lay delegates a chance to learn what Annual Conference is all about, hear about behind-the-scenes activities, get to know conference staff and district lay leadership, and be able to ask questions. (Sunday, June 2: 4-4:45 p.m. and 5-5:45 p.m., Room 102A&B). For more information, email Betty Void at Betty0629@att.net or David Salter at Davidsalter68@gmail.com.
- Laity Conversations: Missions and Ministries in Local Churches – New idea-sharing sessions designed to spotlight local church successes in mission and to learn from others. (Sunday, June 2: 4-4:45 p.m. and 5-5:45 p.m., Room 102C). For more information, email Pamela Goodwine-Glover at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hands-On Mission Expo (Monday, June 3) – Demonstrations of several successful mission projects. (Monday, June 3: 11 a.m.-3 p.m., Hall 1)
All nominees to be lay delegates to next year’s General and SEJ conferences have been invited to attend Sunday afternoon’s Laity Conversations sessions, during which they will be introduced.
“We want to give those laypersons who have put their names on the ballot for election to GC2020 a chance to be seen by the laity who will vote,” Conference Lay Leader Barbara Ware said. “We are appreciative of those who have offered themselves as candidates, and we believe everyone should have the opportunity to be recognized.
“We want this to be a fair process in which each layperson running for election to GC2020 has the opportunity to be acknowledged.”
The Mission Expo will highlight mission work on both the local church and conference level, including:
- Dresses for Girls Ministry – Wesley UMC-Ladson
- Methods used to secure a disaster site – Early Response Team/Disaster Relief
- Wheelchair Ramp Ministry – Cumberland UMC-Florence
- BEDS (Better Education Deserves Sleep) Ministry – Central UMC-Florence
- Prayers and Squares Ministry – Chapin UMC
All three events are open to anyone who attends Annual Conference.