More than 400 people have been evacuated from their homes at Allen Benedict Court – and you can help by donating items to make “love boxes” for the residents.
Two men died of carbon monoxide poisoning in separate apartments at the Columbia public housing complex last month. Subsequent inspections found gas leaks in dozens of apartments, some of them with lethal levels of carbon monoxide, prompting the evacuation.
The Rev. Ed. McDowell – a member of the Columbia City Council and former assistant minister of congregational care at Mt. Horeb United Methodist Church in Lexington – is helping spearhead a drive to collect personal and household items for the Allen Benedict residents.
Items needed for these “love boxes” include:
- Plastic bins and bags for packing
- Children’s clothing
- Men’s and children’s underclothing
- Laundry and dish detergent
- COMET bus passes (available at Piggly Wiggly stores at 6325 N. Main St. and 3818 Devine St.)