The South Carolina Conference Delegation to the 2020 General Conference wants to hear from you in advance of the United Methodist Church’s next international meeting in May. One final “Listening Session” is scheduled for 3 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 23, as a Facebook Live presentation @scumc.
You don’t need a Facebook account to watch this session, but you do need to be logged in to an account to participate, comment or ask questions.
Every four years, United Methodists from around the world assemble and connect in worship, prayer, communion, fellowship and the legislative work that shapes our shared life. The UMC’s 2020 General Conference is scheduled for May 5-15 in Minneapolis.
“Our delegation is eager to hear about the hopes and concerns of United Methodists across the South Carolina Conference as we prepare for this important gathering in May,” said Jackie Jenkins, a lay delegate and head of the delegation. “We encourage everyone to participate in these Listening Sessions and to do so in a way that is respectful, receptive and – most importantly – prayerful.
“If we put our trust in God, the Holy Spirit will lead us in these conversations and guide us for his purpose.”
Those who register to participate in this session will receive an email with follow-up information, including answers to questions that were not addressed. You do not need to register to watch or participate in the session.
Delegation members will be participating in the Facebook Live event, and helping answer questions posted by commenters.
Commenters will be asked to respond to three questions:
What are your hopes for the UMC?
What are your main concerns?
What do you want delegates attending the 2020 General Conference to know?
These sessions are designed to provide attendees with the opportunity to:
- Learn and ask questions about the purpose and function of the General Conference in a safe, respectful environment.
- Share with the South Carolina delegates your hopes and concerns about the United Methodist Church ahead of the 2020 General Conference.
These sessions are not designed to:
- Engage in a debate about the issue of human sexuality.
- Tell you or your congregation what to believe or do.
- Encourage delegates to vote one way or another on any particular issue.
- Compel delegates to share their views on any particular issue.
To help prepare for these conversations, we encourage you to make use of the Listening Session Resources at umcsc.org/gc2020.