Director of Student Ministries
St. Matthew’s United Methodist Church (SMUMC), Annandale, Va. is a welcoming and inclusive community
where we share our faith, strive to live and grow as disciples of Jesus Christ and empower all
people to develop and build strong relationships with God and one another. More information
can be found at StMatthewsUMC.org.
St. Matthew’s is seeking a full time Director of Student Ministries responsible for developing
engaging programs that fits the needs of middle school, high school, and college students
within our church and in our community. We strive to be an inclusive church that welcomes all
people and especially students to come as they are to find community, build relationships and
grow in their faith. The director will partner with church staff and ministry teams, provide
enthusiastic leadership and recruit, train, and support volunteers.
Must have a college degree and experience in guiding a student program. Experience in
organizing and executing dynamic programs and supervising volunteers is preferred. Ongoing
personal spiritual development and general understanding of the bible and UMC faith is
Relationship to Church and Staff
* Staff works under direction of the senior pastor.
* Performance is accountable to the Staff Parish Relations Committee (SPRC)
* Church oversees Christian education for middle school (including confirmation), high
school and college, Youth Council, parents, and all volunteers working with children.
To lead the process of making disciples of Jesus Christ of St. Matthew’s youth and
college age students. Programs, ministry volunteers, and total people involved should
grow as the church grows. These programs should look for ways to serve and intersect
with our community and neighbors.
* Develop, plan, and implement all aspects of a vibrant youth ministry in the areas
of discipleship, mission, and outreach.
* Lead existing programs Appalachian Service Project and Jeremiah Project (or
suitable replacements) that have been important components of the youth
* Work collaboratively with the leadership of the youth music (traditional and
modern worship) and handbell programs.
* Lead confirmation program for youth, primarily 8th grade.
* Mentor youth in developing their leadership skills and ensure that youth are
integrated into church leadership within the congregation.
* Recruit, train, and nurture volunteers. Ensure all volunteers are trained in and
adhere to The Child Protection Policy.
* Presence on Sunday mornings is required and broader involvement in the life of
the church is desired.
* Actively participate in the weekly staff meetings and monthly Church Council and
Youth Council committee meetings.
* Effectively communicate ministry initiatives through a variety of methods such as
phone, email, social media, bulletins, church website, etc.
* Monitor expenses and work within the designated church budget.
* All other tasks deemed appropriate by the Senior Pastor.
* Undergraduate degree and experience in guiding students through spiritual formation.
* Well-grounded in Christian faith with a personal theology that is in synchronicity with
the United Methodist Church beliefs and polity.
* Openly and lovingly articulate the Christian faith and possesses a passion for other to
grow in their relationship with God.
* Possess strong interpersonal skills with youth and adults.
* Team oriented and excellence motivated.
* Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Strong technical skills in MSOffice applications and the ability to stay current in social
* Strong organizational abilities including setting priorities, goal setting, and resource and
* Acceptable background check which shall include, but not be limited to the Virginia
State Police criminal check and sex offender check.
Director of Student Ministries