Summary: Responsible for the overall Christian Education Program of the church and Christian nurture of our children, aged infant to sixth grade.
- Coordinates, plans, implements and supervises the overall Christian Education and Spiritual Formation of the church.
- Suggests, provides resources, and orders materials for the St. John’s program of Christian Education including training of Sunday School Teachers and nurture for all ages.
- Gives direct attention to Children’s Ministries.
- Works with Associate Minister for Missions, Evangelism, and Young Adult Ministries to meet the specific needs of Young Adults.
- Works with the Senior Adult Council to support and facilitate older adult ministries.
- Coordinate with the Children’s Council and Church Council to develop and implement annual goals, budget, and ministries for children.
- Empower others to be in ministry with children.
- Responsible for recruiting, training, enabling, and resourcing teachers and other leaders for children’s ministry activities such as Vacation Bible School, The Grove, Sunday School, Children’s Church, and others.
- Provide resources that foster strong families and faith formation in children.
- Work with the Children’s Council to plan and implement programs involving children and their families.
- Coordinate with Youth Director in development and maintenance of a “feeder” program for 5th- and 6th-grade children.
- Child Care – Supervise the nursery staff to ensure quality preschool child care on Sunday morning and for church events that require such care.
- Weekday Programs – Assist with the coordination of space and resources with the Pre-School/Kindergarten and Children’s choirs.
- Make sure that our facilities and procedures provide a “safe sanctuary” for our children and that St John’s Safe Sanctuary Policy is current and adhered to in all children’s programs and ministries.
- Nurture personal spirituality through prayer, Bible Study, accountability of other believers, personal retreat and worship.
- Continue learning and growing in the Christian faith and take advantage of opportunities to enhance our children’s ministries at St John’s.
- Assist with the administrative duties of the programs including communication with members, production of newsletters, reservations, web page information and other items as needed.
- Maintain a positive culture and team spirit among the St. John’s staff by modeling the core values of the staff and support of the Senior Minister’s vision for the church.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Finance and Administration or Senior Minister.
- Shares supervision of the Youth Ministers with the appropriate Associate Pastor, supervises the Nursery Staff and provides leadership to volunteer directors for programs.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent educational experience preferred
- Knowledge of child development and different learning styles
- Working knowledge of and commitment to basic tenets of Wesleyan theology
- Ability to recruit, motivate and supervise volunteers
- Ability to recruit, hire and supervise paid nursery staff
- Love of God and children
- Organizational and computer skills