SHILOH UMC CHOIR DIRECTOR/PIANIST JOB DESCRIPTION
Shiloh United Methodist Church has been an active member of the faith community of Gilbert, South Carolina for over 150 years. Located in a rural, but rapidly developing area of Lexington County, Shiloh is a church family of 100+ members that is poised for growth in the near future.
Worship is the glorification of God by God’s people and it is the desire of the people of Shiloh to enhance this worship experience with music. It is the job of the pianist-choir director to participate in the creation of worship and to promote a healthy Christian atmosphere.
- Musical training with demonstrated proficiency on keyboard instruments sufficient to play hymns, liturgy and anthem accompaniments at sight.
- Exposure to choral conducting.
- Knowledge of appropriate church music and the role of music in Christian worship.
- Knowledge of basic music theory.
- Ability to sing and play with accurate pitch and rhythm.
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn the Methodist liturgies.
- Experience as a team player and ability to relate to others with effective interpersonal skills.
- Reports to the Pastor
- Work in partnership with the Pastor and Worship Team to develop and grow the music ministry of Shiloh United Methodist Church. This is to include attendance at Worship Team meetings at the request of the Worship Chairperson or Pastor.
- Select and provide organ/piano music for all Sunday morning services and other season services of the church year such as Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, and Good Friday.
- Be responsible for choosing anthems and other music sung by the choir.
- Work cooperatively with the Pastor to choose hymns and liturgical music.
- Provide organ/piano music for weddings and funerals held at the church, consulting with wedding couples or families if requested. For these services, they will receive compensation from the couple or the family. The services of another organist/pianist may be used with the permission of the regular pianist.
- Oversee maintenance and repairs of all musical instruments that are property of the church.
- Accompany and lead the adult choir in one rehearsal per week toward participation in worship each Sunday, September – May. In addition, prepare the choir for special services throughout the church year such as Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Ash Wednesday, Maunday Thursday, and Good Friday, as determined by consultation with the Pastor and Worship Team.
- Arrange for competent substitute when unable to be present in consultation with the Pastor and Worship Team.
- Actively recruit new members to the adult choir from within the membership and wider community.
- Purchase and maintain music and music supplies for the adult choir, limiting the expenditures to the amount provided in the church budget.
- Plan and provide an annual music event (special worship service, hymn sing, choir concert/cantata) for congregational involvement and community outreach.
Must have reliable transportation. Please call 803-892-5656 or email our Pastor John Kronz at email@example.com.