Eight remarkable members of the Rural Mission family worked tirelessly for decades to restore the foundation of the Sea Islands community – its families – by making sure they have a safe and secure place to call home.
Later this month, people from across the South Carolina Conference of the United Methodist Church will come together for a banquet to honor their dedication and ministry.
The event will take place at 5 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 28, at Wesley United Methodist Church, 2718 River Road, Johns Island. Online registration ($20 to help cover costs) is required by Sept. 20, and love offerings for the honorees also will be accepted when registering.
Registration for this event has closed.
The theme of the event – “Greater Than Self: They Built With Love” – is based on the mission statement of Rural Mission, which was dissolved in May after five decades of ministry on Johns Island. The Rural Mission Board of Directors voted to transfer all assets – including the five-acre Rural Mission property on Bohicket Creek – and liabilities to South Carolina United Methodist Camps and Retreat Ministries for future use in ministry.
Honorees include longtime Rural Mission staff members Nancy Butler, Linda Gadson, Anderson Mack Jr., Viola Moore, Josie Nelson, Richard Porter Jr. and Christine Williams, and longtime board member Eartha Goodwin.
You can be part of the honors
Organizers are putting together a video message to provide churches and individuals who worked in ministry with Rural Mission an opportunity to share their good wishes.
If you would like for your thoughts to be included in the video, here’s how:
- Record your video message on your smartphone.
- Pay attention to what’s in the background while you are recording, and avoid backlighting (a window or a lamp behind you). Speak clearly and loudly.
- Horizontal orientation (hold your phone sideways)
- 30 seconds or less
- Share your video via the Google Photos app with email@example.com. (Do not try to email the video directly.) You can download the Google Photos app from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
- Please write your name, email address, cell number and the name of your home church in the “Say Something” box before you send.
- Deadline for video submissions: 5 p.m. Friday, Sept. 20.
- Keep it simple, but have fun!