Two pastors serving local churches in the South Carolina Conference of The United Methodist Church will be featured speakers at the 2021 LEAD Conference Jan. 25-26.
The LEAD Conference – to be held online in 2021 – brings together leaders, innovators and creatives from within and outside The United Methodist Church to share big ideas, experience amazing music, and network with others. The conference is fully participant-driven, as there are no paid speakers or professional experts.
LEAD creates space for Christian leaders to be vulnerable and courageous, connects them around their hopes for the future, and equips them to bring those hopes into reality. This is especially timely in an era of COVID-19, increasing political polarization nationwide, and heightened awareness of racial, social, and economic injustices bursting forth.
The two South Carolina pastors among the 14 speakers are:
- The Rev. Wendy Hudson, pastor of Two Rivers Church – A United Methodist Community, a new church start in Charleston. In her talk – “We’ve Got What We Need – Mutual Aid as a Post-COVID Ministry Model” – Rev. Hudson will discuss how COVID revealed how broken our systems are, and that mutual aid gives us a way to create new, thriving systems of community.
- The Rev. Hillary Taylor, pastor of Bethany UMC and Zoar UMC, both in Saluda. In her talk – “Targeting Gun Violence with Gun Buybacks” – Rev. Taylor will share how Christians can make an impact on gun violence and suicide ideation by holding regular gun buybacks.
While the talks will be pre-recorded, there will be multiple opportunities to engage with the speakers and other participants about the stories and ideas that are shared from the LEAD virtual stage. Registration is required.
Students, laypersons and those from under-represented communities can apply for scholarship assistance.
Want to know more?
- For general questions about the conference, email Brandon Lazarus at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For information on sponsorship and marketing opportunities, email Maria Longley at email@example.com.
- For the latest on speakers, registration and other announcements, go to umclead.net.