The South Carolina Conference of the United Methodist Church is looking to hire a construction coordinator to work with Hurricane Florence-related Disaster Recovery clients.
Position Status: Full-time, hourly, grant employee
Reports to: Hurricane Florence Recovery Director
Location: Chesterfield, Darlington, Dillon, Horry, Marion and Marlboro counties
Position Summary: The Construction Coordinator assesses home damage, verifies it is storm-related, provides repair estimates and develops a plan for the repairs using skilled volunteer labor whenever possible. The Construction Coordinator also works closely with the entire recovery team to manage the repair projects and volunteer teams.
Essential Job Requirements
• An appreciation of the nature and mission of the Church is essential;
• Safety screening as evidenced by a background check;
• Available to work a flexible schedule, including occasional evening and weekend hours to meet client availability;
• Able to maintain ethical conduct in accordance with UMCSC policy;
• Conduct business in a manner consistent with the mission, values and policies of the UMCSC;
• Able to maintain high standards for protecting client information, sharing confidential information only as agreed upon by the client and as evidenced by a signed release form;
• Able to work calmly and effectively to resolve conflicts in sensitive situations; able to work collaboratively with others;
• Computer literate; able to utilize word processing, database and spreadsheet software, and demonstrate ability to learn new and customized software;
• Possess excellent communication skills both written and verbal;
• Be organized and prepared for reports, meetings and briefings, and conversations with clients, staff and external partners;
• Unquestioned confidentiality with sensitive financial and personal information;
• Possess no outside business interest that may conflict with the client or UMCSC’s goals and objectives;
• Demonstrate helpful inter-personal skills, such as:
o genuine care and respect for individuals, families and communities served;
o awareness of the impact of the disaster on the community, the family and the individual;
o effective listening and interviewing skills;
o cultural competence relative to the population served;
o sensitivity to the needs of individuals and families in crisis;
o ability to maintain appropriate service boundaries;
• South Carolina General Contractor’s License is preferred but not required.
• Active membership in the United Methodist Church is preferred but not required.
Essential Job Functions
• Assist clients through the home repair process by providing guidance, supervision, technical advice and expertise in conjunction with case management;
• Walk homeowners through the proper permit process;
• Conduct project inspections and provide itemized estimates for labor and materials;
• Coordinate the efforts of volunteers, contractors and inspectors in order to complete multiple projects in a timely manner in partnership with the rest of the direct services team;
• Cultivate effective relationships with partner agencies, inspectors, vendors and the community;
• Work with the Volunteer Coordinator to orient volunteers to project expectations and assign specific jobs according to their skills and abilities;
• Meet with appropriate building inspectors and have a good working knowledge of standard codes and construction;
• Secure all components needed to complete home repair projects, including timely acquisition of materials, equipment and tools;
• Supervise the work of all volunteers and contractors in order to ensure safety, quality workmanship and high morale;
• Maintain accurate records of construction progress and financial accounts for each project;
• Complete all essential documentation and reports, including home repair agreements;
• Manage and control building funds, tools and equipment;
• Demonstrate and teach construction skills and techniques to volunteers as needed;
• Other duties as assigned.
• Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle to be able to drive within the service area as needed to fulfill the requirements of the position;
• Constant interaction with internal and external third parties for the purpose of collecting and distributing information;
• Spends more than 50 percent of time sitting; remainder of time includes walking, standing;
• Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs. and climb stairs.
• Must be able to work outside in a variety of weather conditions, including extreme heat and humidity;
• Must work cooperatively and collaboratively with internal and external clients and stakeholders across the UMCSC.
Interested applicants: Email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.