Washington Street UMC Director of Youth Ministries
POSITION: Part-Time (20 hours per week) with a yearly review.
REPORTS TO: Senior Pastor
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for planning, leading, supervising, coordinating, and developing a comprehensive student ministry (6th grade through high school) that promotes Washington Street United Methodist Church’s mission.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 23+ years old required due to Safe Sanctuary policy/requirements
- 2+ years paid experience in youth/children ministry preferred
- Proficient in MS Office, social media platforms, various communication technologies
- Trained, or willing to be trained, in First Aid and CPR
- A team player who is personable and possesses highly effective organizational, relational and communication skills
- Possess a teachable spirit with a desire to grow in faith and abilities
- Possess a personal growing relationship with Jesus Christ and a working knowledge of the Bible
- Possess a passion for youth, seek to build relationships with youth, and assist youth in discovering and growing in their relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Establish vision and purpose for youth and students at Washington Street UMC.
- Lead, recruit, and build a Youth Ministry Team of lay members to support you and the youth with their advice, suggestions, ideas, and input.
- Lead and develop, in conjunction with the Youth Ministry Team, a seasonal calendar of activities as related to youth programs.
- Attend, coordinate, lead, and direct youth curriculum and activities through Youth Sunday School on Sunday mornings and on other defined days/evenings as planned.
- Coordinate and serve as a resource with the Senior Pastor and Director of Children & Family Ministry to help transition children to youth via programming and fellowship. Assist to develop and to schedule Confirmation classes.
- Coordinate and serve as a resource with the Community Life Team to help encourage the involvement of youth in defined programming and fellowship events.
- Assist the Senior Pastor with any duties necessary to include and encourage youth attendance and participation in worship.
- Responsible for creating planned activities and meetings for youth to help transition to church service and ministries. This includes Sunday School, Bible studies, events, and outings.
- Responsible for planning youth participation in activities outside of the church including spiritual events and missional opportunities including but not limited to Salkehatchie, Revolution, etc.
- Build relationships and work with other youth ministry directors of local UMCs to foster the sharing of ideas and building a support network focused on youth ministry.
- Be informed of and follow the conference child safety policies, procedures, and requirements that are included in the Safe Sanctuaries Policy as published by Washington Street UMC.
- Attend and provide regular updates to the Youth Ministry Team and the Church Council.
- Plan, submit and execute a yearly student ministry budget.
COMPENSATION: $18/hour. Based on experience and educational background. Compensation increases based on performance and results.
Ministry cannot always be defined by office hours, time spent in preparation for ministry opportunities, or time spent with church members. The average amount of time required for this ministry is at minimum of twenty hours with both direct contact hours with church members and time spent in preparation for each ministry opportunity. Hours may be performed onsite or remotely if it does not interfere with specifically defined job responsibilities requiring attendance onsite. Hours and responsibility increase as compensation increases.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.