Director of Children’s Ministries
First Presbyterian Church of Florence, SC
First Presbyterian Church is seeking a full-time Director of Children’s Ministries (DCM) to develop, administer, oversee and participate in an intentional, well-planned and integrated Christian Education Program. This program will offer loving learning experiences that will help nurture and minister to children by helping them grow in faith to know Jesus, understand the basics of scripture, and what it means to be a disciple of Jesus. Â Knowing that Christian learning happens best with community, where supportive, caring relationships nurture faith development and growth, the DCM will coordinate with multiple leaders, covenant partners and ministry teams that work together to serve the First Presbyterian Church community.
We are seeking someone who:
- Loves Jesus and Scripture!
- Who is excited and has passion for the Gospel and to teach it to children.
- Looks forward to the future.
- Loves the Evangelical, Reformed faith; is excited about our denomination ECO.
- Loves to share in mission and vision to raise leaders.
- Desires to help grow children into maturing disciples.
- Desires to experiment and grow in life and ministry together.
Â CHARACTERISTICS & QUALIFICATIONS
- The ideal Director of Children’s Ministries (DCM) will:
- Have a deep and growing life of discipleship in Jesus Christ.
- Have a love and ability to teach the Gospel to preschoolers and elementary students.
- Be a strong administrator, who can plan ahead and organize well.
- Be a timely communicator, who welcomes feedback and enjoys collaborating with the children’s ministry team.
- Continue to equip our expanding volunteer base.
- Is a learner and self-starter who maintains a healthy boundaries and balance in life.
- Have an undergraduate degree; preferably in Christian Education or related field.
- Have experience as a Christian Educator at a church, or hands-on experience in a congregational setting.
- Would take joy in a entering an environment ripe for ministry.
- To develop, coordinate, and oversee a ministry for preschool and elementary students and their families that will help them become fully devoted followers of Jesus Christ.
- To empower, encourage, and equip those called to Children’s Ministry.
The Director of Children’s Ministries shall function in a team ministry. This person would relate to the Pastors, staff, Children’s Ministry Team, Discipleship Unit/Team, and the congregation at large.
I â Encourage & Equip (the Teachers):
- Sunday morning Sunday school teachers
- Sunday morning Children’s Church & Children’s Lesson volunteers
- Wednesday evening teachers and volunteers
- Vacation Bible School
This includes identifying and recruiting teachers and mentors in the above areas (from 2K-6th Grade).Â The DCM will also lead periodic training opportunities so that volunteers can learn, grow and be encouraged. Â We recognize that it takes a church to raise a Christian and that the DCM realizes that the adult volunteers will themselves grow as Christ’s disciples while teaching our children. Â While the DCM shall teach, the DCM shall also nurture the team, and not attempt to teach everything on their own. Â The DCM shall ensure supplies and curriculum are on hand for volunteers.
II â Build & Evaluate (the Ministry):
The DCM will work with the Children’s Ministry Team, Discipleship Unit and Pastors to:
- Evaluate the ministry for fruitfulness and effectiveness.
- Lead in selecting and organizing curriculum, recommended reading lists/books, family devotional material, Christian Education supplies, craft supplies, and children recreational resources.
- Ensure that programs cover worship, instruction, fellowship, and service.
- Work with other staff members to coordinate ministry opportunities (Nativity, Angel Choir, etc.).
- Provide/Promote age appropriate mission opportunities and/or awareness.
III – Administrative Duties
- Will communicate and plan events and programs in a timely manner, especially with the children’s ministry team, young families, and staff.
- Will oversee staff, volunteers and policies associated with the Children’s Ministry.
- Will help develop budgetary needs of the Children’s Christian Education Programs.
- Will be responsible for attendance at all required staff meetings and will serve as liaison for Session, Pastor, and Church Administrator as requested.
- Will ensure childcare when requested for church events.
- Coordinate with the work of other staff members in the life of the congregation, such as working with the Youth Director to assure educational preparedness of the children prior to moving to the youth program.
- Give CDC Chapel Messages, and coordinate shared space with Director of CDC.
- Help assimilate new (and current) families (particularly those with younger children) into the church.
- Other duties as assigned.
The Director of Children’s Ministries (DCM) is accountable to the Session and works under the supervision of the Pastor/Head of Staff, and upholds church policies. Annual reviews will be conducted by the Pastor/Head of Staff, members of the Personnel Team and those on the teams with which the Director of Children’s Ministry ordinarily serves.
This is a full-time position with benefits. First Presbyterian Church offers a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience.