First United Methodist Church-Elon in Elon, NC is seeking a Director of Children, Youth & Discipleship Ministries to develop and implement a well-rounded program for our children, youth and adults within the church and community. This position will also provide leadership and resources to our Discipleship Team. This is a full-time salary position with benefits. Resumes will be accepted until June 1 with an anticipated start date of August 1.
Job description is below:
First UMC Elon
1630 Westbrook Avenue
Elon, North Carolina 27244-0923
JOB TITLE: Director of Children, Youth & Discipleship Ministries
REPORTS TO: Lead Pastor
OBJECTIVE / PURPOSE
The Director of C/Y/D Ministries works in concert with Lead Pastor, ministry teams, and laity to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Serves as Pastor to Children:
- Develops and implements with laity a well-rounded Children’s Ministry (Discipleship, Mission, Nurture, Stewardship, Worship, and Leadership).
- Develops a core of adult leadership (Parent Council) to model and mentor children as faithful disciples.
- Develops pre-confirmation class for 4th– 5thgrade children.
- Equips children to have an active role in worship (i.e. usher, acolyte, read scriptures and prayers).
- Develops pastoral relationships with children and their families.
- Partners with First School (students, families, and staff) in the areas of spiritual growth and development.
Serves as Pastor to Youth:
- Develops and implements with laity and youth a well-rounded Youth Ministry (Discipleship, Mission, Nurture, Stewardship, Worship, and Leadership).
- Plans and leads UMYF meetings throughout the school year.
- Develops a Youth Ministry Team (adult and youth) to grow youth as faithful disciples.
- Works with Lead Pastor to coordinate and implement Confirmation.
- Equips youth to interpret biblical texts and enact them.
- Equips youth to be active participants and leaders in worship.
- Develops pastoral relationships with youth and their families.
- Works with Discipleship Team to envision, plan, and implement a strategy for making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
- Provides leadership and resources in the areas of spiritual growth and development, devotional literature, curriculum resources, Christian education, evangelism, worship, stewardship, and ministry of the laity.
- Coordinates with Trustees the implementation of Safe Sanctuary Policies.
Serves with Lead Pastor:
- Participates in Worship leadership (occasionally address congregation from the pulpit).
- Assists in the planning and implementation of intergenerational ministries.
- Assists, as the Lead Pastor directs, to meet pastoral care needs of the congregation.
Professional and Personal Development
- Practices Sabbath and spiritual discipline
- Attends appropriate continuing education (a minimum of 4 hours) annually, in consultation with and approved by the SPRC
- Connects with a fellowship of professionals in student and/or education ministries.
- Under guidance of Lead Pastor, communicates in various formats to congregations, i.e. Emails, social media, monthly newsletter, bulletin announcements, and face to face.
Education: Preferred Bachelor’s degree in Liberal Arts.
Experience: Preferred 5 years of experience working in the areas of children, youth & discipleship ministry.
Specialized Training/Skills: Proficient in Microsoft office and social media
Application due by June 1, 2020.
Anticipated start date: August 1, 2020.
Contact: Rev. Kellie Gallagher
Church: First United Methodist Church-Elon
Address: 1630 Westbrook Dr., Elon, NC 27244