Washington Street UMC Director of Children and Family Ministries
POSITION: Part-Time (30 hours per week) with a yearly review.
LOCATION: Washington Street UMC, 1401 Washington Street, Columbia
REPORTS TO: Senior Pastor
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for planning, leading, supervising, coordinating, and developing a comprehensive children and family ministry (infant thru 5th grade) that promotes Washington Street United Methodist Church’s mission.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 2+ years paid experience in youth/children ministry preferred
- Proficient in MS Office, social media platforms, various communication technologies
- Trained, or willing to be trained, in First Aid and CPR
- A team player who is personable and possesses highly effective organizational, relational, and communication skills
- Possess a teachable spirit with a desire to grow in faith and abilities
- Possess a personal growing relationship with Jesus Christ and a working knowledge of the Bible
- Possess a passion for children and families, seek to build relationships with children and families, and assist children in discovering and growing in their relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Provide general direction, guidance, and vision for all areas of Children’s Christian development.
- Lead, recruit, build, and nurture a Children’s Ministry Team made of parents and lay members of the church to support you, volunteers, and the children with their advice, suggestions, ideas, input, and talents.
- Lead and develop, in conjunction with the Children’s Ministry Team, a seasonal calendar of activities as related to children’s programs. Examples include but not limited to Fall Festival, Nativity, Easter Event, etc.
- Maintain an awareness of the curriculum and educational technology to ensure that present and future needs can be appropriately addressed. Willingness to be innovative in curriculum selection. Ensure curriculum materials are ordered and present for Sunday School classes nursery through 5th grade.
- Develop new spiritual growth opportunities by nurturing families with children through personal contacts, including new members and visitors
- Communicate regularly with Children’s Ministry Team, volunteers, and children’s parents by telephone, e-mail, personal interaction, and/or other appropriate means via social media in accordance with Safe Sanctuaries.
- Organize volunteers and the resourcing of Children’s Sunday School by:
- Recruiting parent volunteers as teachers and classroom leads
- Ensure the development of a published rotation schedule for teachers
- Developing and/or supplying lessons for Children’s Sunday School
- Ensure supplies for crafts, games, etc. for Children’s Sunday School lessons are present
- Teach Sunday School as needed
- Organize volunteers and the resourcing of Children’s Church and Nursery by:
- Recruiting parent volunteers as teachers and nursery attendants
- Developing and supervision of a published rotation schedule for volunteers/attendants
- Developing or supplying lessons for Children’s Church
- Recruit, hire, and supervise paid nursery staff
- Ensure a safe and child-friendly environment for Children’s Church
- Organize and recruit leaders for Children’s Moments in the 11:00 worship service
- Provide an annual summer children’s programs or summer educational opportunities:
- Recruit teachers, leaders and helpers
- Organize program schedule coordinating with other church activities, including use of facilities
- Develop and administer a budget
- Purchase /order supplies with sufficient preparation time for volunteers
- Coordinate and serve as a resource with the Director of Youth Ministry to help transition children to youth via programming and fellowship.
- Maintain a good working relationship with the Child Development Center through periodic meetings with the CDC Director. Cultivate a relationship with the CDC parents and children as visitors to WSUMC.
- Serve as Safe Sanctuary Coordinator
- Works with the Senior Pastor, Trustees, and Children’s Ministry Team
- Ensures all volunteers are adequately reviewed/trained in the adopted Safe Sanctuaries Policy
- Schedules regular training opportunities for knowledge of Safe Sanctuary Policies
- Reviews policy annually with Staff Pastor Parish Relations Committee for needed corrections, updates, etc.
- Coordinate with other service areas and church council committees to insure integrated program delivery.
- Work in cooperation with the trustees to ensure a safe, clean, and adequate physical environment for all purposes of children’s activities, including projection of future needs.
- Coordinate education needs, calendar, space, staffing, and financial resources with other staff and volunteers to enhance the total life and ministry of the church.
- Develop and administer the budget for Children’s Ministry and education-related areas.
- Maintain appropriate records, reports, and statistics.
- Prepare and present an annual report to the Church Council on Children’s Ministry outlining program enhancements and future development of children’s ministry.
- Attend worship services and other church functions.
- Attend weekly staff meetings
- Attend district/conference activities and training opportunities as related to children’s ministry
COMPENSATION: $19/hour. Based on experience and educational background. Compensation increases based on performance and results.
Ministry cannot always be defined by office hours, time spent in preparation for ministry opportunities, or time spent directly with church members. The average amount of time required for this ministry is at minimum thirty hours with both direct contact hours with church members and time spent in preparation for each ministry opportunity. Hours may be performed both onsite and/or remotely. Hours and responsibility increase as compensation increases.
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.